The SBCC Foundation is hiring! The Development Manager will identify, cultivate, and solicit sustaining and mid-level donors for the SBCC Foundation, working to create a community of donors who feel connected to Santa Barbara City College and its students.
Job Classification: Full-Time Non-Exempt
Reports to: Senior Director of Individual Philanthropy
Works closely with: Development Team
JOB PURPOSE & FUNCTION
The Development Manager is responsible for identifying, cultivating, and soliciting sustaining and mid-level donors for the SBCC Foundation. Specific duties include management of the President’s Circle (donors of unrestricted gifts of $1,000 or more), direct mail appeals, and stewardship activities, including written communications and small-group events. The Development Manager will also provide support for the Foundation’s annual Spring Forward! Gala and scholarship program. The goal of the Foundation’s development program and therefore this position, is to create a community of donors who feel connected to each other, Santa Barbara City College, and the success of the over 15,000 students who attend SBCC each year. The SBCC Foundation has provided Santa Barbara City College with private philanthropic support since 1976, serving as the vehicle through which individuals and organizations may invest in the college and its students. The Foundation provides more than $5 million annually for student success programs, scholarships, book grants, and other critical needs of the college in order to support SBCC students as they prepare for careers, transfer to four-year universities, and pursue lifelong learning goals.
- Provide the management required to maintain and increase the Foundation’s annual renewable base of support through the President’s Circle and direct mail program.
- Direct planning and implementation of events for the President’s Circle. For example, the Garden Party, dinner theatre evenings, receptions, and other small group events intended to better connect donors and potential donors with the college and the Foundation.
- Develop a systematic donor cultivation and stewardship system for President’s Circle members and document these “touches” in the Foundation’s donor database, Raiser’s Edge. These may consist of invitations to events, tours, direct solicitation, direct mail, birthday/anniversary recognition, thank you notes, telephone conversations, and/or other efforts leading to the successful achievement of the yearly financial goals.
- Manage stewardship of donors who provide financial assistance for student scholarships and book grants.
- Provide administrative support for the annual Spring Forward! Gala, including tracking and invoicing event sponsors, and managing event attendees.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 3 years of experience in development, with progressively increasing responsibilities –individual donor experience preferred.
- Poised and professional communication style – in writing, over the phone, and in-person.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively across teams and with outside vendors.
- Experience working with volunteers, non-profits, and/or community-based organizations. • Ability to work independently, and as part of a team.
- Very strong writing, proofing and copy-editing skills.
- Detail-oriented and ability to handle competing deadlines.
- Experience working with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to take initiative and willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Must be honest, ethical and have integrity.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of social media tools for engaging all ages of donors
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge donor database preferable
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and use office equipment. Includes requirement to lift at least 30 pounds in course of normal duties.
- Evening and weekend hours will be required for some Foundation events.
This job description does not list all the duties of the position. Other duties, as assigned or deemed necessary by management, may be required. Performance evaluations will use the contents of this job description as a basis for appraisal.
Email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.
Open until filled.
Competitive compensation package offered.
References will be required at a later date.